It was my second year of University when this truth first dawned on me. The financial burden of paying my tuition fees while taking care of my two sisters was too much for my mom who is a single mom. While I had stayed on the campus residence in my first year, in my second year I was kicked out of campus residence and had to find accommodation outside the campus to continue my studies just that year.
I would walk to campus daily for classes and go back to the house which I was renting and shared with other students. Walking those streets by myself sometimes at night was not easy.
I felt lonely, vulnerable and scared.
It was then I started talking to myself as I walked but l was still scared so I rather started speaking to God. So I was actually praying as l walked. I would literally sing praise songs and talk to God. He was my companion, He was my friend. And after some time while I walked alone, l didn’t feel lonely. I felt God’s presence. And that fear I once felt started becoming less and less.
And I learnt my life changing truth: God is always with me!
This is the truth I learnt about God then and continues to make an impact in my life today.
God is always with us. John 14: 16 says “And l will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever”
The Great I AM, the King of kings never leaves us nor forsakes us. Wow, just wow!
He walks with us and is by our side. All. The. Time .Matthew 28:20b says“and lo, l am with you always even to the end of the age.” Amen
Once you grasp this truth, it will be life changing for you too.
Let’s think about this for a second:
The people closest to you- your spouse, parents, children,friends, family, pastor, church leaders, colleagues may love you deeply. And they can promise to be there for you always. To never leave your side. I mean I make those promises and I mean them. And other people mean them too when they say them to you.
Newsflash: It’s physically impossible for any human to always be with us.
At some point, they will leave us and we are left alone.
But l want to assure you of one thing:
Even in times when you are alone, with God by your side you will not feel lonely.
Knowing God is always with you will change your life in 5 ways:
1) Boost of Courage-We live in a chaotic world. Just watch the news. We don’t feel safe sometimes,even in our homes. But at times the things that scare us are not ‘out there’. It’s being asked to do something outside your comfort zone- at work or school or in church. And you just need the courage to do it, right there and then.
The moment you remember God’s presence, you will gain courage.
Deuteronomy 31:6 “Be strong and of good courage, do not fear or be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you”
2) A Forever Friendship-Having moved to 2 different countries and 3 cities in the past 10 years, I have lost touch with most of the friends I’ve made along the way. But one thing that has kept me going is that I’ve never lost God’s friendship. He is the constant in my life. My forever friend.
And He can be yours too!
3) Much needed Peace-Being peaceful is not how I would describe myself. I’m more of a constant worrier fighting to be peaceful. But I have found peace at certain times in certain areas and seasons when l have handed over control of the situation to God knowing that He is an ever present help for me. And that peace is available to us all.
4) Lots of Confidence-A lot of women l know suffer from low self-esteem. Umm, me too I’m afraid. Growing up not being that confident, it was only when I knew God better that l became more confident. Confident in His ability not mine. Confident in His power. Confident that He chose me. Confident that He loves me. Confident that He is always with me and l can call on Him anytime.And sure enough, He has never disappointed me.
5) A Hopeful life -In times when l have gone through difficult situations, leaning on God has given me hope. I know that my difficulties are not a surprise to God. He knows them, He allows them for a season and a reason. My trust and hope is in His presence to get me through it all. To strengthen me. To guide me.
Psalm 46:1 ‘God is our refuge and strength. A very present help in trouble’
There are so many truths about God in the Bible and this is just one of them which has had the most impact in my walk with Him.
Knowing that He is here, right now, right here. That l can talk to Him and He can talk to me. I just need to be conscious of His presence.
Talk to God like you would a friend. You tell your friend everything right, the big things and the small things happening in life.
Tell God about your life. Your family, your fears, your pain, your hopes and your dreams.
Tell God how hard your life is and ask Him to show you His purpose through it all.
Tell God about your frustrations while you are in that traffic jam.
Tell Him about that person you can’t stand but you know you need to love. Because there is usually that one person pushing your buttons and testing your patience, right?
Tell it all to God. He is there, He is listening.
I assure you that once you do this, prayer becomes a lifestyle. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says ‘pray without ceasing’. Simply put: Talk to God All. The. Time. Without stopping.
You do it daily, moment by moment, situation by situation.It’s not easy- yes, our minds are prone to wander- yes, but what matters is to start. Today- right now. To become conscious of God’s presence daily and experience Him-it will change your life.
This truth has guided me. It has changed me. And God put it on my heart to make it my blog’s name: I AM IS WITH US.
And guess what else, my first name which is Tinashe is translated to Emmanuel, God with us.
And He is. He is with me. He is with you. He is with us. He was, is and will always be with us.
What an honour, what a joy, what a life changing truth!
Lord, I thank you that you never leave me nor forsake me. Even right now, you are with me. Thank you for your presence. Help me to live my life believing this truth. Help me to live a courageous and confident life full of your peace and hope. Knowing that I will never be lonely. That I have a forever friend in You always.
In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen