4 Ways God is a good, good Father
Did you grow up with your father? How was your relationship with him? Our relationships with our fathers are very important as they can affect our relationship with God and how we view Him.
I didn’t grow up with my dad in our home-him and my mom divorced when l was a toddler.
Not growing up with my father left a ‘gap’ in my life.Something was always missing.
Even though l had a great mom, siblings and extended family l still thought how great it would be to just have my dad in my life. But l thank God, l at least knew my dad and even today we speak. l have friends who didn’t even know their dads. Those fathers simply decided not to be part of their children’s lives, they walked out of their lives. And that is always heart-breaking.
No matter what your situation is, l want to let you know that we have the ORIGINAL Father, God himself.
Whether you had a good relationship with your father or not, and whether your father met your expectations of a good father or not, know one thing:
Newsflash: Your earthly father is human. Only God is a perfect Father.
Your earthly father isn’t and can’t be perfect, his abilities are very limited. But you have a good, good Father, perfect in every way and able to love you perfectly as well. This truth will also help you forgive your father if there is something you are holding onto that he did or didn’t do in your life. Let’s face it, daddy issues are real.
Ok, here is 4 Ways God is a good, good Father:
1) He loved YOU and proved it
• One sure way you know someone loves you is through what they give you. And l don’t even mean just presents, but someone who gives you their heart, time, energy or space actually proves their love.
• When you love, you give and you give your BEST. And God not only loved us, but He loved and gave. And He not only gave, but He gave His BEST. He gave His one and only Son. To come and die for us so that we may be saved and be reconciled with Him.
John 3: 16 ‘ For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.’
2) He chose YOU
Newsflash: Everyone wants to be chosen.
- Have you been chosen for a job after an interview with other hopeful candidates who looked way more confident and competent than you? Ever wanted to be chosen as someone’s partner for a dance event?
- If you are married, you know the feeling when your husband asked you to marry him. The excitement you felt as a young bride is all based on being chosen- out of millions of girls in the world, this man wanted you-wow, just wow.
- God chose us. 1 Peter 2: 9 says ‘But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light’
3) He protects YOU
• As a good Father ,God protects us his children. The best way to illustrate God’s protection over his children is found in Colossians 3:3 ‘For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.’
• One example l can give you is found in the action movies (l love movies, just not action but l will use them here to make a point, stick with me). In a fight or shootout between the good guy and bad guy, the good guy (protector) usually hides the vulnerable person (normally unarmed person) behind them and fights the bad guy. Seems to me that being behind someone with more power is the best way to protect yourself.
• One more example to show you how God protects you is by looking at a pregnant woman. That infant is hidden in its moms’ belly. Whatever happens to the mom, the infant is safe. I know of friends who even fell when they were pregnant and got hurt but their babies remained safe because they were hidden.
• That’s how protected you are in God. When God is your Father, He protects you, He fights all your battles for you. Because as a good Father, He protects his children.
4) He is on YOUR side
Romans 8: 31 ‘What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?’
• As a good Father, God is on our side, no matter what the world may want us to believe. He has our best interests at heart. He rejoices over his children.
Ok, so what action can you take today?
1) Forgive your earthly father.
• If your father has let you down through actions whether he was present or not, start by letting that resentment towards him go. Let it all go. The expectations. The disappointments. The anger. All. Of. It. Your father is a sinner, he isn’t perfect.
• It takes time to let it go -yes, it’s a process-yes, but it starts with a single step-deciding to forgive. Free your father and free yourself as well.
2) Receive the good Father’s love
• One of my favourite verses in the Bible is Romans 8:38-39 ‘For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.’
• As long as you have accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord and Saviour, you are loved.
God’s love is a ‘you are my world, I will do anything for you, truly, madly, deeply kind-of-love.’
• And nothing you can do can ever change that love. We have a Father who is so good he is not looking at your past, current or future performance (nor things present, nor things to come), nor considers troubles and hardships to ever separate us from our good Father’s love.
Truth bomb: Nothing you do can separate you from God’s love. Nothing. Believe it.
3) Be confident in that YOU were chosen
• Maybe your earthly father didn’t choose you, or was absent, or chose to love another sibling more than you. Whatever the circumstances with your earthly father, know that the good Father in heaven chose you. Simple.
And a girl who has been chosen is confident.
• So put a spring in your step like a chosen girl and live your best life. Never doubt that God wanted you- He saved you, He rescued you, He chose YOU.
4) Trust in God’s protection
• Like an infant in their mom’s belly, trust in God’s protection. If you are going through any attack (physical or spiritual) or challenge call upon the good Father- He is attentive to your prayers, always. He is always with you.
5) Never doubt God’s intentions
• Never let circumstances or people make you doubt that God is on your side. Because He is. That’s all.
My encouragement to you:
Embrace the Heavenly Father’s immense love and protection for you today. Let it lead you. Let it guide you like a compass. He truly does care for you. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
Heavenly Father, thank you for being my perfect Father. A Father who loves me, protects me, chooses me and is forever with me. Help me today to walk in the truth of your word and your love. Thank you for giving me better perspective about my earthly father. Today l choose to forgive him for……….(fill in the blank). Help me to let go of all the negative emotions l have towards him. I set him and myself free.
In Jesus name l pray. Amen